Open | 15 January – 15 April, 2024

The IBRO Exchange Fellowship program was established to advance neuroscience research by enabling high-quality early career neuroscientists from diverse geographic and scientific areas to broaden the scope of their training in neuroscience by conducting goal-directed laboratory visits in established research facilities.

 

About the Program

This grant program is designated for covering travel and local expenses throughout the exchange period. Priority will be given to applicants from less developed and under-funded countries, in combination with efforts to ensure both gender and regional diversity.

Fellowship Specifications:

  • The fellowship must
    • be international (i.e. the host laboratory should be located in a different country from the home laboratory)
    • begin in 2024
    • be completed before June, 2025
  • The required grant report should be submitted no later than 3 months following the conclusion of the exchange.
  • Funds will transferred according to an 80:20 format, meaning 80% of the grant will be awarded two months prior to the start date of the exchange, and the remaining 20% upon completion of exchange and submission of the required grant report.

Applications dates:
15 January – 15 April 2024

Apply HERE

Maximum grant amounts:

Asia-Pacific:
– Short Exchange + Scientific Meeting: 2,500 EUR
– Classic Exchange: 8,000 EUR

Latin America:
– Intraregional Exchange: 6,000 EUR
– Interregional Exchange: 8,000 EUR

Africa: 6,000 EUR

For any queries, please contact programs@ibro.org

Who Can Apply?
  • PhD neuroscience students
  • Early career postdoctoral fellows
    • maximum 5 years from the start of the postdoc

Only applicants currently residing in the following regions are eligible to apply:

  • Asia-Pacific
  • Latin America
  • Africa

Applicants from Europe should apply to the dedicated FENS/IBRO-PERC Exchange Fellowships program here.

A letter of acceptance from the hosting laboratory is mandatory. Moreover, one reference letter is a minimum requirement. However, providing two references is highly encouraged for a more thorough assessment. In addition, the applicants should clearly explain how the knowledge and skills acquired during the proposed exchange will be used to advance research within their home laboratory.

 

 Regional Eligibility Requirements

Asia-Pacific

  • Both the applicant and the host laboratory must be within the Asia-Pacific region.
  • The grant is to be used along with matching funds from the host laboratory to defray the cost of travel and to subsidize living costs.
  • Applicants resident within the Asia-Pacific Region may apply to one of two different funding schemes:
    • 1. Short Exchange + Scientific Meeting
      • This scheme is for a combination of a short lab visit and an attendance of a scientific meeting. Both component should be included in the application for this scheme.
        1. The applicant is required to arrange a minimum 2-week laboratory visit that would be beneficial to their research, with the maximum duration being 4 months.
        2. This grant also enables eligible neuroscientists to attend a meeting held by an APRC neuroscience society outside their country of residence.
    • 2. Classic Exchange
      • The applicant is required to arrange a 4-6 month laboratory exchange.
  • Maximum Grant Amount:
    • 1. Short Exchange + Scientific Meeting: 2,500 EUR
    • 2. Classic Exchange: 8,000 EUR

Latin America

  • Applicants have the flexibility to apply for exchanges either within or outside the Latin American region.
  • The proposed laboratory exchange should last a minimum of 4 months.
  • Maximum Grant Amount:
    • Interregional exchange (host laboratory located outside the Latin American region): 8,000 EUR
    • Intraregional exchange (host laboratory located within the Latin American region): 6,000 EUR

Africa

  • The applicants must be affiliated with a research and/or academic institution within the African region.
  • Applicants have the flexibility to apply for exchanges either within or outside the African region.
  • The grant is to be used along with matching funds from the host laboratory to defray the cost of travel and to subsidize living costs.
  • The proposed laboratory exchange should last a minimum of 3 months.
  • Maximum Grant Amount: 6,000 EUR
How to Apply?

Please note you will be redirected to the IBRO Grants Portal.