IBRO Africa Regional Committee (ARC)
The IBRO Africa Regional Committee (ARC) is the IBRO Regional Committee composed of elected voluntary leadership that focuses on supporting and promoting neuroscience in the African region based on its specific needs and conditions. Our activities include:
- Advising IBRO leadership on regional needs, challenges and opportunities
- Providing resources for African researchers and those interested in African neuroscience
- Serving as IBRO regional ambassadors
- Developing and proposing the annual budget for IBRO’s Africa activities
- Reviewing African and global grant applications
- Holding an annual committee meeting to review, discuss and identify African neuroscience priorities
- Working closely with the Society of Neuroscientists of Africa (SONA), the IBRO African member societies and other African and global scientific networks to increase brain research and awareness in the region.
To find out more, click on the links below.
IBRO-ARC Committee Members serve for 3-year terms (according to current IBRO Regulations established in November 2022) and have the option to run for re-election once. Candidates for new members are proposed by our Governing Council to the Nominations Committee who then evaluates and shortlists the final candidates. They are then presented to the Governing Council in an online election process that ultimately determines the new members.
Desire Tshala-Katumbay (2019-24, Chair)
University of Kinshasa; Oregon Health and Science University
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo; Portland, USA
Esperance Kashala-Abotnes (2021-23)
University of Kinshasa; University of Bergen
Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo; Bergen, Norway
Athanase Millogo (2021-23)
University of Ouagadougou
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Bambidele Victor Owoyele (2021-23)
University of Ilorin
Thomas Tagoe (2019-24)
University of Ghana
Amira Zaky (2016-23)
Rachael Dangarembizi (2022-24)
University of Cape Town
Khalid El Allali (2022-24)
Hassan II Vetarinary and Agronomy Institute, Rabat
Join the IBRO Africa Regional Committee (ARC) Facebook page !
Do you have breaking neuroscience news to share in the African region?
Want to find out about grant opportunities for African researchers?
Eager to link up with other African researchers and build the African neuroscience community?
The IBRO-ARC Facebook community features the best of African neuroscience, brain-related research, inspiring science stories, career opportunities and much more.
The Africa Regional Committee looks forward to connecting with you and welcoming your engagement in building the African neuroscience community into a strong and supportive research network.