IBRO Membership: How to Apply
To apply for IBRO membership, the following items must be submitted:
• A formal membership request letter by an organized neuroscience society or organization
• A list of the organization’s members
• A copy of the organization’s Statutes and By-laws
• A list of the organization’s officers (President, Secretary General, Treasurer, etc.)
The materials should be sent by email to Tawanda Daka at tawanda.daka[at]ibro[dot]org. Requests for membership are forwarded to the Executive Committee, which then casts its vote for or against acceptance of the new member society. The entire process is usually completed in about six weeks.
The representatives (usually the President) of the Member Organizations are members of the Governing Council (GC), the highest policymaking body of IBRO. They meet once or twice a year at the site of a major meeting (usually at the Society for Neuroscience annual meeting) and are regularly asked to vote on issues or appointments of importance. Each GC member holds a number of votes that relates to the size of the organization that he or she represents (see voting rights).
Members of the Governing Council shall serve for two years. Members with voting rights may serve for up to three consecutive terms. If a Council member should fail to complete his or her term, a substitute may be appointed by the Member Organization concerned for the remainder of the term.
Membership dues support IBRO’s grant programs. IBRO is run almost in its entirety by scientists who volunteer their time. Salaries are paid only to a few full and part-time employees. Furthermore, IBRO waives the dues of all Member Organizations having fewer than 100 members and the majority of those with fewer than 250.
To ensure the most current information is recognized by IBRO and its members, we kindly request members to:
• Update IBRO with your organization’s current information (number of members, changes in officers and Statutes & By-Laws, etc.).
• Provide your organization’s current and active website link for posting on IBRO’s website.
• Include a link to IBRO’s website on your organization’s website.