IBRO Communications Manager
Join IBRO, the International Brain Research Organization!
Are you our new colleague?
IBRO is looking for a new colleague to spearhead and develop our communications initiatives aimed at increasing IBRO’s visibility and impact towards our global network of neuroscientists across all career stages.
IBRO’s 90+ member societies are served by a Secretariat of which you as our new colleague will also be a member. In collaboration with five scientific committees that represent the interests of neuroscience societies in the different IBRO regions, the Secretariat runs IBRO’s programs and partnerships on behalf of its elected leadership.
The IBRO Secretariat promotes IBRO’s global mission and values, directs campaigns for current and future funding opportunities, program impact, promotion of IBRO’s journals, regional stories and activities, partnerships and global neuroscience events.
The Communications Manager will work in close collaboration with the Director of External Relations, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and will advise on the strategic direction of communications initiatives, global branding and visibility of IBRO within the scientific community. The Manager will lead the development and implementation of promotional campaigns and other communications activities – both online and in the context of IBRO representation at partner meetings.
As the Communications Manager, you should have a passion for digital communications, understand trends and opportunities in the field, and have a keen interest in promoting neuroscience and interacting with the scientists and organizations that benefit from and contribute toward IBRO’s global mission.
You will work within the team in Brussels where you will monitor and identify opportunities to enhance IBRO’s visibility, draft relevant content for IBRO’s social media channels, website and other outlets, and support other initiatives in line with the organization’s strategic plan and communications & branding strategy. You will suggest new tools and channels to help IBRO achieve its objectives, and participate in global awareness projects that will make a measurable difference to IBRO, and to neuroscience researchers all over the world.
Individuals with a scientific background, ideally in neuroscience, and with a keen interest in developing scientific communications as an alternative career path are warmly invited to apply.
- Minimum 2-4 years of relevant experience:
- PhD in science, preferably neuroscience, with a strong interest and experience in science communications and seeking or continuing an alternative career path
- Relevant career background, such as communications within a non-profit environment (scientific association management);
- Structured and organized, with an ability to work both autonomously and within a team;
- Excellent level of spoken and written English;
- Previous experience with science communications, design and/or social media management;
- Interest in expanding IBRO’s global impact, with an understanding of IBRO’s mission and the importance of transparency, diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Experience in creating, managing and measuring impact of targeted campaigns, in line with the branding strategy of IBRO;
- Experience in using multiple digital communication tools and platforms (Hootsuite, Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn..);
- An understanding of digital marketing tactics and tools such as web analytics, SEO and traffic management;
- Demonstrable drafting skills and the ability to draft texts that differentiate between target groups
- A good sense of graphical development, experience in creating social media posts and campaigns with Canva or similar tools;
- The ability to collect and develop information for compelling success stories;
- Experience working on WordPress website platforms;
- An understanding of IT systems design and/or set up and maintenance of databases
Salary and Benefits
The position is based in Brussels, is full-time (38h) with employment conditions according to Belgium work law. IBRO offers a competitive salary that matches the candidate’s experience level and background.
Lunch vouchers, transport costs, and a retirement package are offered by IBRO.
Relocation to Brussels is mandatory for the selected candidate.
How to apply:
Send your application (motivated cover letter and CV in one attached PDF) addressed to Director of External Relations, DEI, Ms. Natasha Slater at email@example.com. Interviews will be scheduled from 10. May 2022 onwards and applications can be submitted until the vacancy has been filled.
Please add “Communications Manager 2022” as the email topic.